Friday, July 17, 2009

Run




I want to run so hard
my breath stabs at my lungs
with an icy vengeance.
I want to run blind
until I run out of street
or collapse
from a twisted exhaustion.
Birds will swoop
in suicide loops
shrieking and cawing
as they mock my falling
but I won't care this time.
You know I've walked these streets
I've prowled these concrete sheets
of city heat.
I've danced in the rain
when the fires came
and brought shame to the soul-mate game.
I dug my fingers into the source
of her life,
the heart, of her strife
and a place I'll find in myself tonight.
All I wanted was to be held
and hold she did,
I can't be there ever again.
So I run over broken bottles,
paper, feathers and other sidewalk treasures.
No stopping for traffic,
red lights,
Angry horns blare
at the girl with wild hair
and a stare
no one should dare
to fuck with.

No comments:

Post a Comment