Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Modesty

Circles make modest the mistakes
worth making twice in a lifetime
and vodka makes modest the tears.
The shutters of a house now dark
as it is silent,
Are drawn carefully and precisely
as to ensure the quiet perfection
of it's contents.

And I am noisy as the day is long.

But I can build myself a body
from the ashes,
Falling now like snowflakes
in the streetlight.
My afterthoughts all flutter away
and I bid them farewell.
Parting truly is a sweet sorrow;
but sorrow none the less.
I am better off left to my devices,
which are predictable,
than to my thinking,
which is not.
The ink on the page
is one in the same,
as the ink on my skin.

And parishioners of a dying religion
wish only to understand,
before being understood.
I find myself among the grasshoppers
in these early morning hours,
Praying like hell
From beneath their wings and arches.

No comments:

Post a Comment