Monday, February 18, 2013

Build







































To build upon the smoldering remains
of fallen night empires,
by the light of candles and fireflies.
I touch with a tender stroke
and hope rises from the ashes in a violet plume.
The streetlights burn unevenly
like the azure flecks of your eyes,
gazing across the canals,
and longing for a deep rain.
Lafayette is painfully quiet without your engine
but I still feel,
by no mistake,
that low rumble.
You're a vandal to my walls
and my quickly fading thief,
in riddled moments of need.
Thunder is promising of a lusted deluge,
drumming on the rooftop
as I lay awake one more time
against the sheets of our empty bed.
I've kept your nest changeless
for over a year,
because it's so hard letting go
of everything everywhere I look.
Black tie, black coffee, black Monday-
oh take me like a bullet
into that velveteen abyss
and through the hearts of many
do we share the forsaken kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment